Castello di Roddi facciata

The castle

Scroll down

The castle is a significant example of medieval fortified architecture. The first documented traces of the existence of this castle come from the 11th century.

Castello di Magliano facciata con torre

However, the certainty that the powerful Falletti family owned property in these parts doesn't appear until the 1300s. As such, the construction of this castle should probably be attributed to the end of the 1300s.

The castle's structure is that of a central body with three floors, constructed upon a high, steep slope. Two round towers complete its defensive structure, one thin and tall, the other low and the object of numerous additions and rennovations over the centuries.

The fortress's typology is classified as donjon (which is the same as that of Serralunga d'Alba nearby).

As regards to the donjon model, the towers of the Roddi castle are rather more domineering and less integrated into the central structure. However, the construction of this main fortress over the years allowed it to adapt to more modern defensive designs, such as the gratings on the last floor. In addition, the castle was protected by a drawbridge that stretched over what is today an all but extinct moat.

Inside, decorations and coffered wooden ceilings dating back to the 14th and 15th centuries are preserved, as well as a precious testimony: the castle's historical kitchens, dating back to the 16th century, now restored.

Castello di Roddi interno camino
Castello di Roddi interno decoro
Castello di Roddi interno mura
Castello di Roddi interno

Castello di Roddi interno corridoio

The property then passes from the Falletti family to the the Counts of Mirandola in 1526 and to the Chiesa family in 1690. Later at the Congress of Vienna (1814-1815), the Savoy family entered into possession of the castle. The castle became the possession of the state and then the property of the Township of Roddi in 2001.

The presence of the 16th-century kitchens suggested the construction of an educational kitchen equipped with a dozen modern stations in the castle outhouses. Cooking courses held by great chefs are offered there, with the white truffle of Alba as the core theme.

The building is home to the Truffle Hub, which celebrates the close link between the village of Roddi and the white truffle of Alba. At the foot of the castle, an almost legendary school has in fact been based since 1880: the University of Truffle Dogs created by Antonio Monchiero, known as “Barot”, and which has always fascinated tourists and visitors from all over the world, as well as providing a real training service for anyone wishing to teach their dog to search for truffles.

The tour of the castle includes, in the outhouses, the exhibition space dedicated to Giacomo Morra, the king of truffles.

This is a tribute to the extraordinary figure to whom we owe the worldwide fame of Alba’s white truffle. A restaurateur and hotelier, he invented the Truffle Fair and made the prized underground fungus known throughout the world, giving it as a gift to personalities from politics and show business, from Churchill to Marilyn Monroe, from Khrushchev to Rita Hayworth. In 1933, The Times crowned him king of truffles.

Castello di Roddi interno finestra